Saturday, February 9, 2008

Certificate of Citizenship A Name Game

How do you prove that the children born in Ethiopia are now US citizens? For those of us born here we are often asked to produce our social security cards, state ID cards, drivers license, and birth certificate.

With an IR-3 visa my children will receive a Certificate of Citizenship automatically. Will that be enough? I was just reading that one of the big problems is that the COC that is automatically sent to the parents come with the name as stated on the Ethiopian birth certificate.

You can change the name on the COC -- for a small fee of course. To make a change to the COC, I will need to file form N-565 and pay $380 per child or $760 US dollars!

Now, how do you change the name and how much does that cost before you can request that the name be changed on the COC? More questions, more paperwork, more money.

No comments:

Original Court Date: April 18, 2009
Final Court Date: May 18, 2009
[607 total days & 165 days w/IAN]