Saturday, February 9, 2008

Questions About Ethiopian Documents

After writing the post about re-adoption, I found this information about Illinois Senate Bill 180.

Senate Bill 180 simplifies obtaining a Record of Foreign Birth for a person born and adopted in a foreign country by allowing the adoptive parents to submit five items to the State Registrar of Vital Records:
  1. evidence of the child's birth date and place, provided by the birth certificate (original or certified copy)
  2. certified copy of the foreign adoption decree
  3. copy of the IR-3 visa (immigrant visa issued by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service for a child adopted abroad)
  4. name and address of the adoption agency that handled the adoption
  5. $5 application fee
Information above is from the Gitlin & Kaper Law Firm.
So here are the new questions that it brings to mind.
  1. What is the process for getting a certified copy of an Ethiopian birth certificate? Is is possible while in Ethiopia to get a second copy of the children's birth certificate?
  2. Do we only receive one copy of the foreign adoption decree?
  3. What is the process for a name change?


graceling said...

Here's my question: if the child/children are abandoned, and their identity is unknown and undiscovered, how do they get a BC in Ethiopia?

VALARIE - Single, Ethiopian-bound, mother-to-be of two bright-eyed Ethio children. said...

That's a good question Grace. What I've always believed is that they create the birth certificates based upon the information that they have. I am going to see what I can find out.

Original Court Date: April 18, 2009
Final Court Date: May 18, 2009
[607 total days & 165 days w/IAN]