Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Price is Right

I know I'm not the only one watching my dollars and cents. I told you it's been hard to think about what I want for me and instead I think of what I need for the kids.

I needed a new suit. So, with my birthday gift cards in hand I hit the usual spots. My good friend found great bargains and Macy's and that I should try there. I went into Macy's everything was 30-40% off with another 50% taken at the register. In ten minutes I found a$98 Anne Klein dress for $11. I found an AK suit on the $59 rack that fit great, was a size smaller, made me feel good and look good. I took it to the register and the woman said that it was not on the 50% off sale. It was $189 -- a steal for a $300 suit but I was disappointed that it wasn't marked down more. I left it and walked out. My friend called and kept telling me to go back and get it. I told her Iwas going to try one more place.

I walked into Loehmann's and found four suits to try on. The two that fit better than the Macy's suit where AK too. The suits were marked $59 and $79 ($320 regularly). The lady behind the counter started talking about how she was having a really bad day, so I offered her a few encouraging words. Then I read the sign behind her saying that they gave 15% off as a birthday discount and I told her my birthday was a few days ago. She whispered something that I didn't really hear and then she hit a couple of keys and the grand total for my two suits was $97.43.

I knew that was more than 15% off, so I checked my receipt and she had given me several discounts. I got such a good bargain that I felt better about spending on myself. I hope the cashier's day got better because she definitely made my day!

5 comments:

graceling said...

They say kindness is it's own reward... but in your case, kindness is your pocketbook's reward, too:)

Love my sales!

Favorite Chicago store that I miss the most: Nordstrom Rack. Love that place.

Unknown said...

Sounds like good shopping karma. What comes around goes around - you must have been randomly nice to someone. I'm glad you got some nice things for your birthday.

-Katy

VALARIE said...

Katy, did you see my note? I will be in Boston on Monday and Tuesday. If you are not busy maybe we could meet. Let me know what you think.

QB said...

Valerie,

I sent you an email at the address you have for the yahoowhfc group a few days back, but maybe you didn't get it? I'd love to get together on Tuesday or Tuesday night if you can. I hope you get this note. I'll try the email address again.
-Katy

Tami said...

I missed your birthday? Happy belated birthday! Shopping deals are the best!

Original Court Date: April 18, 2009
Final Court Date: May 18, 2009
[607 total days & 165 days w/IAN]