But, I am still Myrt and Jimmy's daughter. No matter how grown I get, some of my favorite comforts will always be:
- The Black Church: I particularly like the spirit and energy, the amen corner, sangers, and mother's row. There's nothing quite like a holy ghost filled Sunday morning.
- The Backyard Party: The loud laughter, the old school jams, the corner for those playing spades, bid whist, or dominoes. Oh yea, and that one little, little kid that will dance without fear in the center of the crowd.
- The Food: Please don't surprise me on the holiday's with that new fangled cranberry apple nut stuffing. The tree days of the year that I eat it I want real cornbread dressing, peach cobbler, and black-eyed peas. I will make the macaroni and cheese.
- The People: I love my elders (old black folks that will tell you just how it is), the church ladies, my sisters (the sisterhood) all of them even the colorful ones, a strong black brother, and you know I love the babies. That for me includes all young people up to about 25.
- My Family: They are a bunch of characters and I wouldn't change them for the world.
- The Beauty Shop: Many of my friends now go to the SALON. I get my hair done at beauty shop. I've tried those...well you know what I mean. Yes it can be loud with 10 conversations going on a the same time, TV on and radio going. There might be someone selling CD's, cookies or something, but as long as the little stove is HOT, I'm fine.
- The Music: My favorites go from the 60s and 70s stuff with Marvin, Gladys, Retha, Temptations, Stevie, Spinners, O'Jays, and the Whispers. Jeffrey Osborne and LTD. Okay, I better stop. I like ALL of it. But then there was that part of the 80s with Guy, DeBarge, Luther, alright you all get it. I love ALL of it! If you don't like Marvin Gaye's Gotta Give it Up something is wrong.
- The Movies: Do you remember all those Bill Cosby, Sidney Poitier, and that cutie pie Calvin Lockhart. You know Car Wash, Let's Do it Again...Okay well what about Sparkle and Lady Sings the Blues? The Whiz.