Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ethiopian Baby Names: Meet Pooh 1 & Pooh 2

Every little girl and grown woman for that matter has thought about what they might name their children. Adoptive parents wonder if they will change the names or keep those that the children have. I am no different. I have decided that I would like for my children to have similar names and am very partial to Kendra and Kendall.

In the months going through the process I have wavered back and forth and of course I can't really make a decision until I see the children. The age that they are at time of placement also factors into the decision. I have this conversation with a good friend of mine who finally told me that she doesn't care what I decide to name them. As far as she is concerned my children (who I have yet to adopt) are affectionately called Kendi Pooh and Kendi Pooh 2.

I told her that Kendra and Kendall work for two girls or a boy and girl but not if I have two boys. She said, "No matter, they will still be Kendi Pooh and Kendi Pooh 2!" Other friends have picked up on this and they now call the kids The Kendi Poohs or Pooh 1 and Pooh 2. It's hilarious. I get at least three calls a day asking for status on the Kendi Poohs.

I have also found out that Kendi is an actual male name in Ethiopia (Tigran). If it comes down to it, that might solve my two boy name dilemma and please my friends greatly.
  • Kendra - Knowledge and Understanding
  • Kendall - Exalted
  • Kende - The Loved One
I just hope the kids have a good sense of humor because they will probably always be known as Pooh 1 and Pooh 2.

To get information on Ethiopian names you might try Rebekkah's Ethiopian Name Site or AACASA's Ethiopian Name Site.

4 comments:

ferenge mama said...

Pooh 1 and Pooh 2 is ADORABLE. Always good to have names like this, so we can be sure our children will be adequately tortured. :-) Mine will be with "the Sprout", for sure!

VALARIE said...

I like Sprout! My mother always called me Chicken Little even when I was adult.

Anonymous said...

Valarie,

I love reading your blog! It is always so interesting. When I saw the reference to two children I thought you had gotten your referral. But I don't see it so I guess we are still praying for that! I'll be watching for updates.

I've reconsidered changing my last name to my children's so will be interested to see if you continue with that decision as your process unfolds.

Happy New Year!
Nancy
http://abundanceofgrace.blogspot.com

VALARIE said...

Hi Nancy! I do not have my referral yet. WHFC and CWA seem to do the process a little differently. I've only been officially waiting since December 7th and they say the wait is 0-6 months probably closer to 6 at this point. Pray with me that we will get an early call.

I will have to find your email address and chat with you about your name changing decision.

Thanks for the note.

Original Court Date: April 18, 2009
Final Court Date: May 18, 2009
[607 total days & 165 days w/IAN]