Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Who's Name is it Anyway?

In adoption naming children may be one of the most important things that we get to do. If we do it could be the most important thing that the child loses. I came across this article today where a judge in Australia has ruled that parents do not have the right to change the names of their adopted children.

Adopt, But Don't Turn Ming Into a Kylie

I also know that many of the parents adopting from Ethiopia are constantly looking for the meaning of Ethiopian names. I found an online resource that may help you discover what your child's name means.

Your Child's Ethiopian Name

You may also want to check out the forum on Topix. To me it is a little hard to follow but you my find more information about names there.

Meaning of Ethiopian Names

1 comment:

Deanna said...

We changed our sons name, but he was less than a year old. I can certainly see that judge's point, however. You can't deny he he looking out for the best interest of the child, can you?

By the way, I just found your blog and I am loving it!

Original Court Date: April 18, 2009
Final Court Date: May 18, 2009
[607 total days & 165 days w/IAN]