When I began the process I was told that the wait for a referral would be between 0-6 months. For my own sanity I focus on the far end of that range. It's hard to believe that I am almost at the two month mark already.
I think I will be able to deal with the wait pretty well for the first 4-5 months. I have a lot of things to do and I know that the time will go by quickly. Without the referral, I don't know the gender of the children or their exact ages. I am open to either gender so I may be referred two boys, two girls, or a set. I am requesting children that are older than two and younger than six and may receive a referral for anything in between. There is a difference in preparing for twin two year olds and making plans for one 3 and one 6 year old. You know what I mean.
With that in mind there are so many things that I am finding it difficult to resist:
- Buying bedroom furniture and choosing colors.
- Walking into children's stores and toy departments.
- Buying cute outfits at JC Penny's (because I walked into the children's department) that were all on sale for $2-5 dollars. I had to call my friend for an intervention.
- Getting a fixed picture in my head of who they may be. I want to be able to love and embrace them as they are rather than have them live up to some crazy expectation.
- Calling them by names that may not fit them (currently they are the Kende Poohs).
- Purchasing toys, BOOKS, and games of any kind.
- Looking at too many pictures from other families, wishing that I had pictures of my own.
- Blogging and commenting on the adoption forums!